Thursday, September 07, 2006

theater music

i've never been a fan of the theater. It seemed too showy or made to be a spectacle for me to enjoy listening to it. However, I have found myself lately really liking singers that have a sort of theatrical flare to them. Maybe it started when I watched Funny Girl. I loved Barbara Streisand's musical numbers--she was just a big amazingly talented voice. Unashamed, and very emotional. I haven't started listening to her albums yet, but i have been listening to Rufus Wainright, and love Fiona Apple's "It's not about Love" from the Amazing Machine album--not the Jon Brion produced one--the other one. Both these artists to me have a similar big voice, raw at times (espcially Rufus, who I have a secret crush on (sorry Jordy) solely by merit of his voice and lyrics and song writing diversity and ability), and the instrumentation reminiscient of the theater.

It turns out I want to quote the first line of "Foolish Love": I don't want to hold you, and feel so helpless. (long pause) I don't want to smell you, and lose my senses.

Listen to it. I love his entrance on that first note. Very bold.

I don't feel like going to concerts anymore or listening to local bands--it seems more a scene than anything. But when a big amazing voice combines with great lyrics and an emotional soul--that is what i would pay money for. I wish I could have seen Queen in their day, or Babs; and i would see Rufus Wainright, and maybe Fiona (less likely).

Please suggest any others that might fit the bill.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

i like the kinks. i want to listen to them some more.

9/11/2006 03:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home