Thursday, September 07, 2006

theater music

i've never been a fan of the theater. It seemed too showy or made to be a spectacle for me to enjoy listening to it. However, I have found myself lately really liking singers that have a sort of theatrical flare to them. Maybe it started when I watched Funny Girl. I loved Barbara Streisand's musical numbers--she was just a big amazingly talented voice. Unashamed, and very emotional. I haven't started listening to her albums yet, but i have been listening to Rufus Wainright, and love Fiona Apple's "It's not about Love" from the Amazing Machine album--not the Jon Brion produced one--the other one. Both these artists to me have a similar big voice, raw at times (espcially Rufus, who I have a secret crush on (sorry Jordy) solely by merit of his voice and lyrics and song writing diversity and ability), and the instrumentation reminiscient of the theater.

It turns out I want to quote the first line of "Foolish Love": I don't want to hold you, and feel so helpless. (long pause) I don't want to smell you, and lose my senses.

Listen to it. I love his entrance on that first note. Very bold.

I don't feel like going to concerts anymore or listening to local bands--it seems more a scene than anything. But when a big amazing voice combines with great lyrics and an emotional soul--that is what i would pay money for. I wish I could have seen Queen in their day, or Babs; and i would see Rufus Wainright, and maybe Fiona (less likely).

Please suggest any others that might fit the bill.

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

While I was reading your blog, some songs came to mind. The first one is from the album "Soap Opera" by The Kinks. The song is called "You make it all worth while" - Also check out "Holiday Romance" on that same album. If you can find it, you should check out Fiona Apple's cover of Frosty the Snowman. I think she really has one of the great classic voices on this track.

9/11/2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

i like the kinks. i want to listen to them some more.

9/11/2006 03:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home